As sure as a new moon rises every month, so to has a new trend accentuating this semi-circular feature.
So, if time and cash are not on your side, or, you are just an inspired do-it-yourselfer (like us!), we picked up these styling tips from Heidi Klum’s web site….
How to Get Half-Moon Nails (Edit from HeidiKlumaol.com)
Metallic or glitter polish
Color #2, polish
10 reinforcement stickers (like you may have used in high school to fix a tear on a 3 ring binder)
Clear top coat
1. Start with clean, bare nails that have been filed.
2. Apply 1 to 2 coats of the metallic/glitter polish (depending on the coverage of the polish). Be sure to paint your whole nail. If the color ends up showing through the other polish it will just add a little sparkle, but it is important to have a smooth first layer. Let the polish dry for at least 30 minutes. It is important your nails are dry before placing the reinforcement stickers on them or else the stickers will peel off the polish and you will have to start all over again.
3. Once nails are completely dry, place a reinforcement sticker on each nail with the outside of the sticker mimicking the shape of the moon of your nail. Cutting a slit in each sticker will allow the stickers lay more evenly on each nail. You can decide what size you would like the moons to be, but it is important that the size stay consistent across all your nails for it to look right. Once they are all placed where you would like them, apply pressure to each making sure they are secure to your nail.
4. Now paint the top half or your nail with 2 coats of Color #2 polish. Let this coat dry for at least 10 mins.
5. Once that’s dry, carefully pull the reinforcement stickers off of each nail.
6. Finish with a clear top coat.
In the event that you just want to free-hand it or try a more abstract approach we recommend:
Art Club Nail Art Gold Glitter Striping Paint, amazon.com, $8.00
Art Club Women’s The Nail Art Foil Flakes, amazon.com, $10.00
Last Look: The whole combination of the single-standout nail, the modern graphic ring and the bold color combination of bright orange and vivid teal made this photo (from one of our favorite Thai magazines) and styling idea, unforgettable in our minds…