This holiday season why not try an adult version of the traditional gingerbread cookie—a super moist spice cake with a dash of fresh ginger and lemon? The secret is, actually, the kids will love it too!!
This recipe was created and perfected in the Bon Appetit test kitchen and came to us by way of the namesake magazine.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2′ pieces
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup store-bought lemon curd
- Finely grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with nonstick spray. Line bottom with parchment paper; spray paper. Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Place butter in a large bowl. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over; whisk until melted. Whisk in sugar and next 3 ingredients. Add dry ingredients; whisk to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.
Bake until a tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and let cool. Remove parchment.
Beat cream and sugar in a medium bowl until firm peaks form. Fold in curd, leaving swirls. Spread over cake. Garnish with zest.