These adorable spoons deserve a delicious accompaniment and this they find in Hazelnut Gâteau Breton. If you like Gianduja or Nutella, trust us, you will LOVE this cake. It’s dense and buttery and is traditionally served with coffee in the late afternoon. It is unmistakably French in that it is amazingly simple in ingredients, yet complex in flavor and texture.
Hazelnut Gâteau Breton
Recipe from Bon Appetit, May 2007
- 1 1/4 cups Vanilla Sugar , divided (SEE Recipe below for Vanilla Sugar—It’s worth making as you can use it all other baking recipes sprinkle it on yogurt or enjoy it in your morning tea or coffee. A real treat!)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted, husked
- 6 large egg yolks (preferably organic)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, melted
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 2 teaspoons water (for glaze)
- Whole strawberries with stems attached or warm strawberry jam (optional)
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Combine 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar and hazelnuts in processor; blend until nuts are finely ground but not pasty. Combine 6 egg yolks and remaining 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar in large bowl; whisk until well blended and slightly thicker, about 2 minutes (do not use electric mixer). Whisk in hazelnut mixture. Gradually whisk in melted butter. Sift flour over batter; stir just until blended (batter will be thick; do not over-mix or cake may be tough).
Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top with offset spatula (layer will be thin). Brush top generously with egg glaze. Using back of tines of fork, deeply mark crisscross pattern atop cake, marking 3 times across in 1 direction and 3 times in opposite direction. Bake cake until deep golden on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes, then remove pan sides and cool cake completely. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and store at room temperature.
Cut cake into wedges and serve with whole strawberries or with warm strawberry jam.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 coarsely chopped vanilla bean
Blend sugar and vanilla bean in processor until bean is finely ground. Store in covered container at room temperature at least 2 days, then strain through fine strainer before using.